Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 29, 2010

Love Letters From A US AirMan

See this beautiful post from an Air Cadet, madly in love, one who's aspiring to be an officer, with butterfly dreams of a beautiful tomorrow



Regards to All



Darling;



I had another very tough day today so pardon the poor penmanship. From hours of calisthenics and drilling this morning, with 10 minutes rest. After mess, we were in a parade before the Colonel and a guest General from about 1:30 to 4:30. All this was done in a very hot sun and on a dusty field. I like it though. After I get back I'll be so tough I'll be able to eat nails. My waist is now about 30 inches and my chest is expanding very rapidly. I guess I must look almost like a Negro with my tanned face.



Last night, darling, we had another open post. I was with five .....


fellows. We hurriedly grabbed a taxi and went to a show. Luckily we hit the feature practically on the nose, about 7:15, we had to be back by 9 P.M. They've washed men out at B.T.C. #9 for coming back to post 5 min late. We saw Jack Benny in "The meanest man in the world" and we just about squeezed it in. Darling I told some of the boys that you wanted to know what I do at nights.




They practically roared, moaned and groaned. We do our wash, clean up with scrubbing brush and mops and bags our shoes and brass shinned. And darling, thats a job. That takes up all the time that we're not wasting our waiting in line. Please don't worry about me, dearest. I promised to remain myself a married man no matter what. Besides when we're off post I have...........






the blues so bad, that you're not with me. I hardly feel like going out. Tell your pop, the first weeks seemed like just about 1 month to me.




Darling we have to look our best or get demerits. That means we have to have our clothing altered ourselves. Everything fits me real well except my shirts, They are too baggy around the waist and sleeves and also the sleeves are too long. I have to lay out $1.10 for every alteration. I also have to pay my laundry. I had to buy another uniform, it cost me $1.00. I'm telling you dearest, it's pretty expensive to be a Aviation Cadet Candidate. They want you to do this because you are supposed to be a future officer. The drafters don't...........





Darling I have my check book with me because I must endorse the checks that I get from Mr. Lawarence and deposit them with the rest of the money. I haven't gotten them yet. From the looks of what I told you a few lines back, I believe I'll have to break a rule we made before I left. I'll have to write a small cheque. What you do darling, don't send me any money and promise not to make any debt, will you? Here's my advise on the future dearest. I found out from pretty reliable sources and observations that I'll only be here for 2 weeks from today.




I'll probably go to some University in the South. Please darling don't plan to come to Miami because of the short time and the conditions in general. Try to get yourself a little job that you can make a few dollars and...............





P.S.- Don't go out with that crazy Jean too much and be good. Because darling in about 6 to 80 months, you are going to be an Officers wife. An Officer in the Airforce is very highly regarded. Get ready to join me in about 2 or 3 weeks. Isn't that a swell thought, dear? It makes chills go down my spine.




You asked me what color spring coat to get. Here's my advise on that dear. Bring as few clothes as possible in Reading, save your money, and get your summer clothes cleaned and prepare for travel. It will start in about 2 or 3 weeks dear and may last quiet a while. Here's what I go though - preflight (at the University) primary flight training (probably in Texas or Alabama or maybe even L.A.) often that advanced flying somewhere else. More of the fellows that are marring and I know about 15 now, are.............


going to get wives down here because it really is ridiculous to do and I also heard Officers don't like to see it. So Darling do what I said and get on the ball for 2 or 3 weeks. As for all Sargent brother in law, they are probably "Jeeps". They love it pretty easy. Our basis training is though and endurance matters a lot. It you pass out 3 times in formation you're washed out, get what I mean? You got to be strong.




Oh, yes darling, send you're income tax return and my slips from Hershey, S.E. and Tansdale. I must fill out a return but not pay. Send this airmail as soon as possible.



Well darling, I am anxiously looking forward to the future when we'll be together again - I miss you terribily. It's now 8:25. I must hurry, lights out at 9 you know.



P.S.- Please write every day.



All my love and Kisses,

Herbie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers